Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ranch fun!

"See my lizard friend!"

Driving the big tractor!

Gotta let both big boys have a turn!

Climbing "General Jackson" the pecan tree!
What fun we had at the Ranch this past holiday weekend! We worked and sweat and played and ate! Gustave blew through with some wind and rain, but we didn't let it slow us down too much. (If you haven't checked out the ranch, see the link to "Harmony Ranch" in my surf spots to the side.) Bart and his dad concentrated on the screen enclosure for the deck outside the motor-home. The boys took turns helping by screwing the truss plates on the trusses. They assembled thirteen trusses, framed the walls for the room and got two trusses in place before the weekend was over. The boys also drove the tractor around picking up large branches to bring to the burn pile. Granny Gerry and I spent our "free" time planting the herbs I got on my birthday trip, and making a garden spot for them. Before we left on Monday, Gerry and I had also worked on making her azaleas happy with some pine straw mulch we gathered in the pine groves and worked in around all 5 plants.

Not having hot water doesn't really matter too much when we are there this time of year, we tend to stay outside and sweaty so a cool shower feels nice. The boys feet stay "rusty" no matter how much we wash, the Alabama red dirt is some kind of tenacious! Norman has got plans to have the hot water working before long, just in time for the short winter season. For as much work he is doing with only his 10 year old grandson (Danny) and one hired man, I am truly impressed! Whether we are away for a month or a week, I just marvel at the changes and work that is accomplished.

We are back at the apartment, unfortunately the house we are trying to buy is apparently an estate that was left to 15 heirs. Their lawyer is trying to get a letter from all 15 consenting to the sale and it isn't happening.....we wait still. I will blog on the progress as it happens.

Our home in Virginia is also not moving. It has been shown favorably several times, but no offers. I try to look on the bright side, some people have no place to call home, we have many! God is either trying to hone my patience or drive me crazy. The jury is out on that ;)

I love to get notes from home, from friends, and from family. It helps me stay focused on the important things in life and helps me to not be so depressed. So, if you can, send me an e-mail from time to time or, click on the "comment" word at the end of any post here to reply briefly. Either cheers me up!

I do hope everyone I love is well and enjoying this most wonderful approaching season. It's gettin' close to time to make some apple butter!

No comments: