Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why I don't buy Crocs any more


"Is America Made in China?" So begins an article from the Rutherford Institute:



I am appalled by the degree that "Made in China" has permeated every facet of our American lives. My favorite shoes were "Crocs" and I bought a pair -full price even (very rare for me!!!) When time came for me to consider replacing them, I couldn't find a pair that was still manufactured in Canada, (I originally thought they were made in the USA, but was wrong, still I felt good about supporting our neighbor to the north.) Apparently, their rapid growth and potential for extreme profit lured the seemingly conscientious company to ride the wave of profitability and manufacture in China. I guess I don't really blame them, their success is phenomenal......but what if they had chosen a longer vision and more noble (in my opinion,) pursuit of expanding manufacturing locally (USA)? They certainly would have retained my business.


You would think that some things would be "sacred" but being involved in Boy Scouts (of America,) has further fueled my indignation. While shopping for uniforms and patches we were hard pressed to find the "Made in USA" label; we saw shirts from Vietnam, Hong Kong, but mostly China. There were no patches that didn't come from China. While putting flags on the graves of soldiers on Memorial Day I couldn't escape the irony that all the flags bore a little (Made in China) golden oval. A testament to American apathy. It distressed me to think that American flags aren't even made in America anymore. (With the exception of Annin flag makers -yea South Boston! )


And so, I continue my goal to avoid the Made in China proliferation of consumer goods into my home; while realizing that I am limited by the shear volume of products that are, or made from components -manufactured in China. When Americans start paying more attention to their consumer choices and decide to support American manufacturing, then I believe we will see a huge turn-around in not only our economy, but our social consciousness as well. I may not be a zealot (yet!) but I am committed to finding alternatives that support a more mindful choice for me and my family. Even if that means suffering the loss of my favorite shoe.

1 comment:

msmec said...

Some time ago, Kiki took to reading labels. Labels on clothing, toys, everything.

"Made in China!" she would exclaim, because she has a cousin adopted from China.

After a few days of this, she concluded: "Everything is made in China."

And speaking of the economy: When I hear the name of Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, my mind translates it as "Bernechee."