
Large patch of tilled earth = lots of work!

We bought, we dug, we ammended, we planted, we soaked....
Then we needed a good shower! We really were lucky to take advantage of a quick dry spell in the midst of what the locals have referred to as the wettest Spring they have ever experienced. (I'm certain my Virginia buddies can relate!) We have a neighbor with a tractor who came and tilled the soil for us just after it had begun to "dry" a bit from any days of showers. His own garden had to wait as it was still too wet! Luke and I got up early and headed to Lowes and Wal-mart for the plants and were back ready to dig before 8:30 in the morning!!! (Those who know me well know what a feat that was!) The boys and I were up early several mornings in a row to finish getting all the plants in as we had to stop by noon for the extreme heat we were experiencing then. We even put the soaker hose on them those first few days!
A month has passed and most of the plants have faired well, though a few have been assaulted by bunnies. I think we may have lost two bush beans and a tomatoe.....we will see soon. Luke and I made a "Bob" to scare away the animals, so we hope they will be safe for a while. Now we haven't had to water since the first week the garden was put in as the rain has come incessantly. I actually am more concerned about having had too much water. We only got one harvest of spinach due to the hot spell and we should have our second batch of peas tonight for supper. We may eat more peas if this brief cool spell inspires them to produce more, but since I only spent a couple of dollars on them, I feel good about our harvest so far. Still, I think I will stick to fall planting for cool weather crops as the Alabama heat can come on quickly in the spring and cause the plants to bolt before they can be enjoyed.

2 comments:
Our garden is doing so well, thanks to all the rain!
I need more information on cool weather crops, I would love to do that but NO IDEA what or when!
New post on that topic maybe?!
Hey, Andrea! Yes, this is definitely one of the wettest springs I can ever recall in my 33 years of living in AL! Usually, rather than 24/7 rain for several days to a week, we have brief afternoon thundershowers roll in-- which is awesome for gardening....a good soaking every couple of days but not enough to wash it all away. "Locals" aren't used to this Washington state kind of weather! :-) We're all stir-crazy and getting irritated that we can't plant our gardens! :-{
Good luck with yours!
Post a Comment