Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Yummy!!!
Well, FB certainly has taken my blog time, but I'm not completely ready to give it up! So for your reading pleasure, I am posting a wonderful meal recipie. I've been trying to use my crock pot more, and having some success. So this past weekend I cooked up a bunch of chicken breasts (from Sam's, less than $2 a pound, which is my goal for meat.) The first meal was great, pasta, spinach and chicken in a cream sauce. The leftover chicken languished in the fridge over Monday, but knowing how Bart suffers if we don't eat stuff up quick, I was determined to make something with it on Tuesday..... I've been prepping for a class I'm teaching Wednesday, so it was well after 5 when I set myself to the task of "creative dinner" making. I had the chicken, it had some lovely caramel onions that cooked in the pot with it, I had a garden full of tender lettuce leaves that needed thinning, so I knew it was going to be a salad. How then to make it spectacular.... no feta, Bart will eat it in moderation only! A glimmer of inspiration appeared as I focused on the chicken.... one of my favorite eat-out dishes is a southwestern chicken black bean eggroll..(Cheesecake factory is where I had them first.) So southwestern I went! Alas, there were no black beans in the pantry (how on earth did I let that happen!?) and my favorite chick peas were called in to substitute. A can of Niblets, and a handful of grape tomatoes and I was confident I had a winner. I made a "sauce" of the broth and onions left from the crock pot, added some taco seasoning and some taco sauce then mixed it with the chicken, corn, beans and a LOT of cilantro from my garden! I cut up my lettuce (and some spinach from the garden,) and spooned the chicken mix over top. Anthony said it tasted like Chipotle's, Luke said he loved it, and Bart raved too! I can only imagine it would be great with black beans too...so I will try it and share next time. I was really impressed with the price too, the chicken was a little more than a pound, so that was about $3, each can of veggies was less than a buck and I only had a few tomatoes left (it could've used more for sure,) less than a dollar's worth and the rest of the condiments would have been close to $1 together. The lettuce and cilantro came from the garden, and while they did cost some $ to plant, it isn't very much so without counting that, I estimate this dinner fed the 4 of us for under $7! Not too shabby; if I do say so myself! God's richest blessings on you, and happy eating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment