Monday, July 26, 2010

Another recipe

Well, I certainly had a good time in Virginia, but again, didn't get to stay and visit long enough, or with enough folks. I did however pick up my recipe pages I left with Joy when we made baklava together.......fun!

Joy didn't really want to part with them, as she hadn't made a copy for herself, but I assured her that I would post a copy that she could access anytime! So here is my famous Baklava recipe.

3 Cups finely chopped nuts
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional, but worth it!)
1 and 1/2 pkgs of phyllo (yes, you can use one pkg, but we are XL)
3-4 sticks of butter melted

Syrup
2 Cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup honey (or a little more )
2 tablespoons lemon juice (+ or - to taste)

Combine nuts, sugars, and spices (I use the food processor - fast!) Layer 1/3rd of the phyllo sheets in 9X13 pan, brushing each sheet with melted butter with pastry brush. Top with half the nut mixture and then drizzle with a little butter. Continue layering the next third of pastry sheets and butter. Top with second half of nut mixture and some butter. Finish with final third of pastry sheets and butter. Cut into rectangles, then cut each rectangle in half diagonally (yep, that's lots of cutting!) Bake at 325 for about an hour, until brown and flaky on top. About 15 minutes before done, make syrup by combining all but lemonjuice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, simmer for about 10 minutes stiring frequently. Add lemon juice and pour over Baklava after it comes out of the oven (while still hot.) Let cool (as long as you possibly can!) This is really better the next day, but doesn't keep well unless it is frozen. If your family can't eat it in a couple of days, I reccomend wrapping well and freezing some so that it lasts.
Enjoy!!

No comments: