Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring......almost



The daffodils and forsythia have donned their yellow bonnets, defying the late winter/early spring grayness that seems to persist in the sky. I have to admit that without their golden splendor, the world would appear dismal most days. Of course, the Bradford pears, hyacinth, and winter buttercups(aconite) are also trying to outdo each other. The weather has teased us with some downright warm and sunny days, only to regress to the mist and chill that reminds me of the frequently dreary springtime in the New York countryside. (I spent my first 12 years there.) As the sun gains a little in intensity and length each day, I find the hope of this new season blooming, inspiring me to get out and improve our little plot of Alabama.



We returned from a glorious week in Virginia with treasures to cultivate. As the weather cooperated while we were visiting, Dorothy and I took time to dig and move some of the abundant flora in the front beds at the lake. We transplanted some there, but I also ambitiously brought back a large garbage bag full of butterfly bush, lemon and bee balm. The ground here was still quite wet, but with the promise of one sun filled day before the change again to rain, I seized the time to get those plants and a bag of caladiums planted. Anthony accommodated by cranking up the lawn mower and he even had the foresight to attach the bagger to collect the abundant leaves that he would inevitably mince, thinking he would add them to our growing compost pile. I really surprised him when I asked him to add his very full bag to the little bed I was working on. It has so far deterred the many squirrels and chipmunks that might want a tasty meal of those yummy bulbs.



I get a great degree of satisfaction from digging and dividing plants. The thought of gain with just a little effort on my part swells my soul. I just adore the economy of the Kingdom of God! It reminds me to take a little effort to care for those around me, my own family and friends and even perfect strangers, knowing that those efforts too will yield benefits that God has touched and increased with his abundant grace..... It never ceases to stir awe in me, how my feeblest attempts to bless - when done in His name - produce such glorious bloom. I hope it is in your life as well....


Happy Spring!

No comments: